Blood Circulation and Health
Chest pain? Shortness of breath? Dizziness or headaches? The problem could be poor blood flow.
Our heart and circulatory system are designed to transport oxygen and nutrients to every cell in the body, as well as filter out waste and carbon dioxide. Good blood flow is essential to good health, and has a positive effect on your mind and body.
Poor blood circulation greatly increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases (CVDs). This occurs when plaque builds up in the arteries. As plaque builds up, it blocks and reduces the amount of blood flowing through. When this restricts blood flow to the heart muscle, it can cause chest pain, also known as angina. Angina can make it difficult to enjoy one's favourite activities, or even perform simple daily tasks.
In severe cases, plaque can block entire blood vessels. When blockage happens in the vessels supplying blood to the heart muscle or brain, it can lead to a heart attack and a stroke respectively.
What is RenewTM ECP Therapy and how does it enhance blood flow?
Renew™ ECP Therapy is a safe and non-invasive process that increases blood circulation and is used for the treatment of chronic stable angina. It enhances blood flow by pushing blood from the lower body toward the heart.
Pressure cuffs are wrapped around your lower body while you lay comfortably. These cuffs inflate when your heart is at rest and deflate right before your heart pumps. Due to the precise synchronisation with your heartbeat, ECP therapy has been described as a ‘second heart’ that allows your heart to perform with less effort.
The therapy is soothing and relaxing, much like a lower body massage. Many people listen to music, watch TV or simply rest during a therapy session.
To find out more on how Renew™ ECP therapy works, click here.
How can you benefit from RenewTM ECP Therapy?
After completing a course of ECP treatment, patients have shown1:
A reduction in angina symptoms: shortness of breath, dizziness, fatigue, weakness, pain or pressure in the chest, back, neck, jaw, shoulders or arms
- A reduction in nitroglycerin medication use
- An increase in energy and exercise tolerance
- An overall improvement in quality of life
- Benefits that can last for years after treatment
To find out more on the benefits of Renew™ ECP Therapy, click here.
Is RenewTM ECP Therapy right for you?
Do you suffer from angina? Renew™ ECP Therapy may be right for you if:
- Your daily activities are restricted due to angina symptoms
- You rely heavily on medications to relieve your symptoms
- Your symptoms still persist after bypass surgery, angioplasty or stents
- You are interested in a non-surgical solution
- You suffer from other symptoms related to poor blood flow such as fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, dizziness, numbness and swelling
- Loh PH, Cleland JGF, Louis AA, et al. Enhanced external counterpulsation in the treatment of chronic refractory angina: A long-term follow-up outcome from the international enhanced external counterpulsation patient registry. Clin Cardiol. 2008;31:159-164